Energy Efficiency and Clean Energy Project Finance Basics
This presentation will cover the basics of energy efficiency and clean energy project financing.
Topics to be covered include:
- Simple payback analysis
- Discounted payback analysis
- After-tax discounted payback analysis
- Life Cycle Cost Analysis
- Weighted Average Cost of Capital
- Project Internal Rate of Return
- Net Present Value
- Ownership, Leasing, Power Purchase Agreements, & Performance Contracting
- Rebates, Incentives, and Grants
- Green Banks, Traditional Banks, Green Bonds, Government Loans, PACE Financing, Alternative Financing
- Creating Project Portfolios to Enhance Financial Performance
At the end of the presentation, participants should understand the major types of project financial analyses, basic financial terms, and major sources of project capital.
Dan Katzenberger is a mechanical engineer and sustainability professional, currently engaged as a Global Sustainability Leader at Best Buy. In this role, Dan is responsible for energy efficiency, clean energy, and enterprise-wide carbon reduction efforts. Examples of recent projects include an LED lighting retrofit of nearly 1,000 Best Buy stores, on-site solar energy at Best Buy properties, and three tax equity solar investments totaling seven square miles of solar panels.
Dan holds a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Washington University in St. Louis, a Master’s in Sustainability and Environmental Management from Harvard Extension School, and he is currently working on his MBA at Boston University. In addition, Dan recently completed a one-year certificate program at Yale titled Financing and Deploying Clean Energy.
Dan is a Lifetime Member of AEE and holds the CEM, GBE, CSDP, CEA, ASHRAE BEMP, and LEED-AP BD+C, ID+C, O+M, and Homes credentials.